Sunday, November 30, 2008

Over 70 Interview


I interviewed an old Cuban man named Jorge while in Miami, an old friend of my grandfather's. While the interview was very difficult to perform with my terrible Spanish, the gist of it was mainly about how life is as you get older, and how much things have changed. It was not so much an interview as a conversation, and it was great for me to learn about how much he had struggled, immigrating to America 45 years ago and fighting in Vietnam. He is so proud of the greatness of our country and the fact that anyone can achieve riches that he even refuses social security and welfare, and works even now at 73 years old. His tale of toughing through the bad times and enjoying the good ones touched me, and I hope to be able to emulate his can-do approach to life and everything that he does.

No comments: